Skip to main content

Some Simple Answers for First-Time Writers Seeking Advice

The question: Hi! I'm {insert name here} and I'm a first-time writer. My problem is, I really don't know how to get started. Any advice for a first-time writer looking to write their first novel?

The typical answer: "Just do it."

Okay, stop right freakin' there. Not only is that not GOOD advice. It's not advice! Just do it? Who the hell do you think you are? Nike? A person who doesn't know how to drive ... do you tell them to "just do it"? Lord, I hope not! If you don't know the answer to this very important question, quit typing down words to validate yourself or make yourself feel "smarter". Stop trying to appease this thing inside your head that convinces you, "Well, you're a writer, so tell them 'just do it'. It's short, sweet, and to the point."

The longer version of "just do it" is: "Well, if you wanna write, just write!" No. Just ... no. This isn't good advice either. Some people want to know how to cook. If they want to attempt a Sunday dinner without even knowing how to properly boil water, they don't need a person saying, "Well, if you wanna cook, just go cook!" That's not what they need. If it isn't what they need, this certainly shouldn't be the bullshit you throw at them on a regular basis.

When people ask for your advice, they are looking for some kind of direction. Some profound wisdom and guidance from a person they feel should be experienced enough to give them some pointers to get where you say you are. They are looking for you to be a mentor for them, even if just for that short moment. They need you to dig deep inside yourself and give them some ideas. If you don't know how to answer the question, then fucking don't!

So, here is my advice for first-time writers seeking advice on how to get started.

1. What kind of story are you writing? Is it horror? Comedy? Romance? Erotica? Non-fiction? If so, read some of your favorite books from these genres, and watch some of your favorite movies/television shows of those same genres. See how the stories flow in the books and movies. Take notes and try to see it as maybe a teacher showing the student a movie that relates to the lesson she is teaching that day. Or telling you to read a story for a long-range book report of your version of a story in that genre.

2. What's the purpose of your book or story? Do you want to make people think? Are you trying to bring awareness or educate people? Is it a textbook? A book teaching something about a relevant part of history? Is your purpose to make people laugh? Make them cry? Get them angry? Are you trying to titillate people? Make them discover something profound about themselves or their sexuality? Are you trying to entertain children or teach them anything? Is it just to entertain you? Maybe you're trying to prove to yourself you can do it. Ask yourself: "Why do I want to write this book?"

3. Read a few of your favorite books to get some ideas. If you don't know what kind of book you want to write, shop around for ideas. Inspiration is everywhere. You can find inspiration in a song or a movie. Maybe you want to do fan-fiction. What ideas do you have? Where do the as yet nameless, faceless subjects of your "only-an-unrealized-idea" book want to go?

4. Start an outline or simply just write out some details. Think of what you want to name your characters and write that down. Besides their names, write down some quirks and personality traits they have. Put enough in there to make it kind of real. Does Hannah twirl her hair, bite her lower lip, or nibble her nails when she's nervous? Does Brad dig his slightly worn sneaker in the dirt, shove his hands in his pockets, scratch the back of his neck even though it doesn't itch, or slip his fingers through his hair when he's nervous or shy? Then write it down.

5. Where are your characters? Tell us about their setting. What city do they live in? What kind of house or apartment are they in? What time period is it? What is the atmosphere of the place they are in? Will the volatility of their temper threaten the peacefulness of a classroom or beautiful beachside bungalow? Make us feel like we're there.

Start with these 5 bits of advice and expound on them. There are lots of blogs, books, and other resources that give credible writing advice. I don't claim to be a scholar in writing. I'm just giving advice based on my own experience. Except for the writing down or outlining stuff. I usually just start writing. First-time writers might need more to get started, so write stuff down, and outline to get an idea of where you want your story to go. I hope this helps. I especially hope it helps a whole hell of a lot more than saying, "Just do it!" 

Deuces!
- Lav -



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcoming Projects

Hey, guys! Here are some of my upcoming projects. I'm working on manuscripts right now. I have to go through and do some editing and rewriting, and it's coming along. Not as quickly as I would like, but still... I'm trying to decide which road (publishing-wise) will be best for my brand of stories. I'm an erotica writer. I also have my toe dipped into a children's book (different pen name) and a book on pop culture and my experiences with it. There is also a biography in the works and a self-help-style thing that may just wind up being a blog. I don't feel I have enough material for it to be a book. If I decide to go with an agent, hopefully, there will be one who understands and shares my vision. When I write erotica and romance, I don't always keep just the woman's perspective. I try to show things from the man's point of view as well. I like to show what people are thinking, how they are feeling, and what they are going through. When you watch a m...

Do You Believe in Ghosts and Spirits?

Do You Believe in Ghosts and Spirits?   Do you believe in ghosts and spirits? I do. I'm about to tell you a few of my experiences. I only wish they weren't real, but alas... these things did happen to me, and I can never forget them.  At the age of nine, my mom and I were living with her boyfriend in his childhood home with his mother, brother, and sister. It was a pretty nice house in one of the older (and now roughest) parts of town on the west side called Ensley. I was home alone that particular day, and have no idea where the four grown-ups of the house were. I had no worries, as I sat alone in the back of the house watching television. It was sunny out, no winds, and nothing wrong with the power, yet the television went off on its own. I didn't try to explain it away. I simply ran from the back of the house through the room my mom and I slept in, out of the brother's room, straight through the dining room, and out the living room door. SCREAMING! I ran to the house...

So, It's Christmas Eve

Hey, y'all! So, it's Christmas Eve and I haven't posted in a bit. I decided to post a couple of Christmas poems here for you. One is the original version of A Visit from St. Nicholas . The other is a darker, goth version of the same poem. I love both and can't choose which one I love more. I think they're about even. Anyway, enjoy the poems, and have a very Merry Christmas! See ya next year!!! For those of us who don't mind a bit of tradition on Christmas Eve: “ ​ The Night Before Christmas ” ‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there. The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads. And mamma in her kerchief, and I in my cap, had just settled our brains for a long winter nap. When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my b...